Published on April 9th, 2013 | by Andrew Garcia0
5 Quick Natural Ways to Improve Your Mood and Energy
Mood is one of the key determinants on how well our day goes, from waking up on the right side of the bed to our performance in our daily lives. With numerous mood affective disorders plaguing society and a host of mood medications to match, a better alternative would be to turn to the natural side of getting things done.
Unless you are in need of professional help, the natural route is infinitely healthier, less expensive, and they actually work! Keep the blues and doldrums away with these tips:
- Keep moving. Exercise gets you in better shape, and when you are in good shape, your mood improves. The increase in your energy, as well as the improved circulation and oxygenation makes you feel perkier and better. Biochemically, exercise causes a surge in endorphins, our happiness hormones—resulting to a happier and more positive you! These hormones combat stress and improve your mood without popping any pill.
- Get yourself a power nap. Don’t you feel crabby and unproductive after a long day’s work? It’s not just the stress that puts you on a surly mood. Lack of sleep affects concentration, making for a short fuse and a shorter attention span. Recharge your brain with a quick nap and wake up revitalized. For maximum results, get around 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night for that serotonin boost and a refreshed outlook.
- See the sunny side of life. Wake up to the sun on your face, instead of the ringing of your alarm clock. Waking up gently to the warm sunlight instead of being jarred into wakefulness by your alarm, is by far the better alternative and starts your day off better. As the day progresses, take time to go for a walk outdoors as sunlight stimulates serotonin production and damps down melatonin production, effectively improving your energy and mood.
- Tune up. Music hits right on brain’s pleasure center. So whenever your mood starts to lag, play your favorite song: sing to it, dance to it and banish your bad vibes to oblivion!
- Be a Picky Eater. Do not gorge on dark chocolate alone when the doldrums start wandering in. Instead, look at the contents of your diet. Inject a healthy dose of serotonin into your brain by limiting, or eliminating, refined food and packing in the fresh variety: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. Other mood boosters include: brown rice, dark molasses, plain yogurt, salmon, bananas, turkey, and spinach among others. Get some good fat like sardines, coconut, flaxseed, and fish oil to stimulate serotonin production.
Also, just as important, do not let yourself run on empty. That’s when you start to snap, forget things, and lose focus. Instead, eat light meals at regular intervals throughout the day. This prevents drops in your blood sugar, which can leave you surly. Eat every two to three hours to keep your blood sugar at a healthy level and keep you running on a good mood all day.
Before things get out of hand with your mood, nip the problem in the bud by taking the natural route to healing. Boost your day-to-day mood with these natural mood boosters and call each day your best.